Saturday, March 6, 2010

Fruehling

I regret to inform you that this post will be written under the influence of one of the worst sicknesses I've had in a long time. It's common around these parts, and during this time of year almost everyone is afflicted. It results in a weakened heart and restless legs (please don't confuse with restless leg syndrome), a wandering mind and fidgety hands. Yes, I am sorry to say that I am suffering from a severe case of spring fever.

In order to help my case, I've decided to celebrate some of the joys of this time of year. Simple things like the itchy hotness that comes from wearing a coat that was too hot for the day, finally! Signs of Spring that we all may know, but that never fail to surprise us after we wake watery-eyed from our winter rests.

Thunderstorms. For me, there is nothing better than to sit on someone's porch and look out at a storm. This weekend we had a pretty terrible wind storm. It was the closest thing that I've seen to a good American thunderstorm in Germany so far. I was stuck in the middle of the train station: trains were stopped, people stranded (including myself), umbrellas turned inside out--general panic ensued. But it was such a great distraction! To look out, see farm animals blowing by, and remember so fondly the treacherous American weather. In general, Germany's weather is just boring in comparison to the plethora of storm systems we have in the land of the free . It's not great, not horrible, just gray and dull. But ohh!--the energy of that storm—a great contrast to the monotony of winter life! Got me excited for more to come as the skies get warmer.

The Moon. Tonight, riding home from dinner with a dim bike light, I had a lot of trouble making out curb vs. street vs. dog...it was a bit scary riding through the quiet, windy streets. Along the stretch that carries on into the woods, I noticed the moon. I didn't just notice the moon, actually, I almost fell off of my bike for the size of it. I felt like howling! I was drawn along the road as if I was swept up in the wake of a star blazing across the sky. I barely noticed my pedals moving as I weaved in the sidewalk to catch a better view.

As this giant moon balanced on top of my German life shining light on my ride home, I was truly transfixed. I looked up at the rest of the stars in the sky, the same ones you all see, and smiled. I smiled! How wonderful it was to sit under the moon and smile like a little kid. To know that Germany didn't exist just to torture me, but that life under the moon belonged to everyone. That the moon has shone on all humans, on all problems, on all countries for all time. There was a chill in the air and freshness in my lungs. It was a good night for standing under the moon and feeling small.

Spring does these things to me. It makes me want to boogie, it makes me want to smile more, and it makes me want to just high five everyone I come across. I often find myself thinking things like “Well isn't it great to just be alive!”, or “Let's just all sing love songs together!” The sun shines brighter, people start looking less hairy and gray, and in general the world starts living up to its potential.

1 comment:

  1. Thunderstorms make me want to be a lifeguard again. There's nothin like sitting on the deck at Rama getting paid to listen to June thunder.

    Did Granville have a lot of t-storms? I feel like Charlotte has way more than either chapel hill or houston.

    Guess who

    ReplyDelete