Monday, April 12, 2010

It's all downhill from here

Whew am I tired. I just spent about two weeks with various good friends doing just whatever pleased us...seeing the sights and basking in the sound of the English language as we were bathed in it around various locals in Dublin, Liverpool, Manchester, and London.

I don't think its any surprise for you all that I was pretty excited to get out of Germany for a bit. I could sing praise about almost everything I did...the food was better (boy have I missed sandwiches that don't just contain cucumbers and mayo), the buildings were prettier, and to top it all off, there was an extreme abundance of smiles. Those English and Irish really dig the whole politeness thing.

I've already mentioned a few tidbits about Dublin, Liverpool, and Manchester. But let me start the highlight reel just in case you didn't get a clear enough picture:

Dublin—Ben and I spent the majority of our money at Guinness Brewery and Jameson Distillery. On top of learning a lot about science (who knew that a distillery was really just a giant Organic Chemistry classroom!), we got a lot of history. I really love touring factories where they make stuff you eat/drink regularly. I will always have a special place in my heart for Jelly Bellies after touring their place of creation, and Jameson and Guinness will be on the top of my list when I think of things to get my head spinning.

Liverpool—I haven't yet mentioned the guy who channeled Lennon through his guitar. Not really, but there was a man who plays every day of the week in the Cavern Club, where the Beatles played before everything started. We had a great time down there in the narrow halls lined with bricks and full of drunken tourists. It just makes me think how lucky those people were who go to see the real Lennon, rather than his (talented) chubby reincarnation.

London—ohh what a time we had in London. We saw the typical sights...a little history here, a little Harrods there. But the most remarkable thing to me was the abundance of security cameras everywhere! Keeping an eye along streets, around corners, and up skirts! I was initially bothered by the fact that they might see me picking my nose, or even worse, a wedgie, but just a few minutes ago another horrible thought came to my mind. You can't have a secret rendezvous in London! There are no stolen moments with a new love, no giving the boss the slip to wander catch an afternoon movie...to say the least, Donald Draper would not survive in London 2010.

I imagine some significantly large man with a sweaty handlebar mustache watching an arena full of TV screens with a pint and chips (that's the British chips) in hand. He scours day and night for anyone with a life more exciting than his. Hopefully he saw how much fun we were having and was inspired to get on the treadmill, pick up the razor, and trade in the crisps for the biscuits (that's the British biscuits). Cause boy was I having a lot of (legal) fun in that surveilled city. (Wedgies were few and far between, for those concerned.)

I had to eventually say goodbye to England after a short trip to the Lake District (which comes highly recommended) with REAL English people. Being back in Germany is not something that makes me want to boogie (like the Lennon guy did), but its a lot more doable with memories of my trip. I feel bolstered by the country that taught Americans the importance of manners and that desserts should have sugar in them. I can take on these pork addicted hoodlems...after all, the next time I go west, I'm going all the way! So its all downhill from here, watch out Germany, this girl isn't leaving behind any regrets!

No comments:

Post a Comment